I WOULD RATHER STAY POOR
Like most bank managers, Dave Calvin had acquired an irresistible charm that he could switch on whenever he felt the necessity. Underneath it he was cold, calculating, brutal; a perfect murderer...For years he waited, watching an endless stream of money pass through his hands, knowing that a risk was only worth taking if the reward was justified. And a three hundred thousand dollar payroll was justification enough, even for murder...
Extract:
Now he was close to this man, he was aware of piercing blue eyes, a lipless mouth, a square brutal jaw, but all this suddenly dissolved into charm when the man smiled : it was a wide friendly smile that softened the brutal lines and made Travers suddenly wonder why he had disliked this man at first sight." I'm Dave Calvin, " the man said. " I'm the new manager of the bank. "

‘You can’t talk me into this!’ Kit said hysterically. ‘I’m not going to do it! I can’t sleep. I keep thinking for her studying her stupid books night after night while you are planning to murder her! I won’t do it! I’d rather stay poor.

You were a fool to have hooked up with her, he told himself, but maybe she was right. I should have stayed poor.

No comments: